Bommarito LAwpllc

Call today for a free consultation!

 (586) 685-2552

Michigan Expungement Laws

What is an Expungement? 

With the ongoing challenges in the job market, many people are utilizing Michigan's
expungement process to give them a fresh start.  An expungement is the legal process
that allows a person to "erase" their criminal history.  An expungement can erase a
conviction--misdemeanor or felony--as long as all of the specific requirements are
met under the law. 

Am I Eligible?

Convictions that CANNOT be expunged: 

  • Felonies punishable by life imprisonment, whether this was the sentence you received or not;
  • Criminal sexual conduct or attempted criminal sexual conduct under these statutes: MCL 750.145c, 750.145d, 750.520c, 750.520d, and 750.520g;
  • Traffic offenses, including drunk driving offenses

The Legislature recently amended the expungement laws to allow a person with two convictions to get an expungement. You must wait at least five years from the date of your conviction, completion of probation, imprisonment, or parole, whichever is longer, to file your application to set aside the conviction.

Speak with an experienced attorney at Bommarito Law to determine if you are eligible for an expungement.  

Where Can I Look Up My Criminal History?

Michigan criminal records can be searched online for a $10 fee. You can find your record by using the Internet Criminal History Access Tool at Michigan’s ICHAT webpage.  If you need to review your criminal history in other states, you can get a report from the FBI’s Criminal Background Check website.  Print a copy of your criminal history so that you can review it with an experienced criminal defense attorney at Bommarito Law.

​How Long Does the Expungement Process Take?

The expungement process can take approximately 6 months from the day you file the application to set aside the conviction.  Bommarito Law will make sure you are eligible for an expungement, assist you in gathering fingerprints and criminal history records, file your application with the Court and attend the necessary Court hearings.  Call today for your free consultation!